Wednesday, 5 November 2014

Tiny paper pieces

I was in need of a nice evening sewing project for all those blanket-on-knees evenings now that it's getting a bit more Autumnal, so this ferris wheel mini quilt tutorial from Sew Scatterbrained was just the thing. It's an English paper piecing project, which is my favourite kind of hand-sewing, with truly tiny pieces, triangles, hexagons and squares with each face measuring only 1". I've been tempted to do a ferris wheel quilt before after seeing Katy's Spring Carnival quilt, and love her take on this traditional block with the fractured pieces falling away at the bottom. It's a really versatile design with plenty of potential for changing the pattern the eye focuses on by bringing different pieces into the background and foreground with contrasting solids and prints.

I've always fancied making a mini quilt, and goodness knows the study-o could do with a bit of brightening up! The Sew Scatterbrained tutorial is made up of 'circles' in 7 different colours on a backdrop of neutral hexagons in low-volume prints.

patchwork pieces

The best thing about this project for me is that it has been an opportunity to rummage through my scraps bin and actually use some of the tiniest of offcuts I've been saving for a rainy day. There is something very pleasing about those multi-coloured stacks of squares and triangles.

English paper piecing

It's taking shape pretty quickly, even though I'm only spending half an hour stitching here and there. I do like to have a project that I can just pick up and put down when time allows without any setting up or clearing away needed.

paper piecing

The cat is my constant companion; she loves it when I'm working on hand-stitching as it offers her an opportunity to cosy herself up in the lovely Welsh wool blanket my sister gave me. She hasn't made herself particularly useful as yet, other than keeping my feet warm and enabling me to stave off putting the heating on for that little bit longer.

black cat in a blanket

1 comment:

  1. it's lovely, I need a little portable project, I've been dithering over hexagons or diamonds/stars. love the kitty companion x

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...