Wednesday, 7 May 2014

The scrap quilt reveal

Brace yourselves ... I've only gone and finished something!

scrap quilt

Project name: Scrap Vomit (or Technicolour Yawn if you're going for the sanitised version)
Size: 70" square (big enough for me to be completely hidden behind it when holding it up to be photographed!)
Started: May 2011
Finished: May 2014
Batting: Warm and Natural
Backing: Moda extra wide Dottie quilt backing in grey
Quilted: By hand with Gutermann hand-quilting thread in dark grey and Clover gold-eye quilting needles

hand-quilting
I signed up to a quilt-along for this scrappy quilt, led on by the enthusiasm of Katy over at imagingermonkey. That was almost 3 years ago - I think Katy has actually completed around 90 scrap vomit quilts during the time I've taken to make my single one, which shows me up somewhat, but then, she is a superhuman quilting machine. This quilt was begun in England and completed in Wales, so has dual heritage just like my 3 children. I was sneakily stitching blocks in between house viewings, which may not have been the best way to ensure the house was tidy, but it was a welcome distraction.

The blocks themselves came together really quickly. I kept the A-blocks as 7 x 7 blocks of random scrappy 2.5" squares but adapted the B-block for a single colour of contrast (dark grey) in a diamond pattern which would criss-cross over the whole quilt.

B blocks handquilting

(oops, missed trimming some threads!)

A blocks handquilting
I started quilting it by hand in May 2012 (aren't blogs terrible for providing incontrovertible proof of how long you've been working on something!), with diagonal lines following the diamonds on the B blocks and segmented circles on the A blocks. I think it was the quilting really which did for the prompt completion of this quilt - all those overlapping seam allowances to stitch through! And so I let it sit, for around a year, only to pick it up again this Spring and realise there wasn't much left to do. So with only 6 circles left to quilt, I picked it up in the evenings and after work and found it came together really quickly. I was saved from procrastinating and deferring decisions over the binding by the fact that I had bought an extra metre of the dark grey solid fabric - I didn't really want anything that would compete with the scrappiness of the quilt, and it also helps to draw the eye to the diamond pattern and save it from getting lost in the multicolour madness.

backing and binding
I've gone as far as removing the erasable pen markings for the quilting, and trimming away (most of) the loose threads, but the quilt hasn't even managed to make it into the washing machine yet and is currently residing on the arm of the settee in the living room, ready to be appropriated by whoever comes along and wants to make a den or a bed for their teddies.

I feel a bit bereft at the completion of such a long-term project - I definitely need to get stuck in to another quilt!







10 comments:

  1. That looks amazing, so tempted to make my own but I think 3 years to complete would be a bit quick for me!
    Enjoy your creativity, it really shows on this

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an heirloom, absolutely beautiful, well done it's fab. I'm making a scrappy quilt but using hexagons with lots of hand sewing, I call it my therapy quilt as have been suffering with pnd. You are truly talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! I did enjoy working on this one. I think quilting is perfect therapy, it's good to have something methodical to work on, and hand-sewing is so restful.

      Delete
  3. it's really lovely. Your hand quilting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. its beautiful and hand quilted - no wonder it has been a wip! Really stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen, your quilt is fantastic! I remember reading your blog when you were cutting all your scraps into little squares and putting them in sandwich bags ready to make this monster. I thought then it was a great way to use all your favourite scraps but, needless to say, mine are still all stuffed in a drawer, uncut.
    I really love the dark grey contrast and your hand-quilting is beautiful. what a great heirloom! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful!!! Don't you feel great now that it's finished? It was definitely worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And what a spectacular something it is! Well done on making it through the long haul. I have projects going back 10 years I will probably never finish if I'm honest with myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So gorgeous! And love the deep grey with all those happy colours... Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...