Monday, 9 September 2013

Outdoorsy - Summer 2013

018
attempt to capture the Summer in applique form

We've had a fabulous Summer here. First time I've ever known the grass turn brown in Wales, that's for sure. It's been our most outdoorsy Summer yet, beginning with a camping trip to Tenby in the first week of the holidays where we swam in the sea every day, ate fish and chips on the beach and had a generally lovely and laid-back holiday.

138

Fresh air? I should say so! No fewer than three individuals sent me a link to this article from the BBC news website about resetting your body clock by camping out. Judging by the fact that after a regular midnight bedtime at home I was struggling to stay awake past 9.30pm every night, I think I really need to curtail my screen time at home in the evenings.

sandcastles in Lyme Regis
sandcastles

2013 has also been the year of the bicycle. Riding without stabilisers finally clicked for the middle child a good two years after first taking them off. He is no longer a loose canon, apt to take out fellow cyclists and pedestrians, but a confident peddler. The secret? A big wide expanse of grass in a huge park where he wasn't frightened of hitting anyone! Now that proper cycle rides as a family are a realistic proposition, I've managed to acquire an ebay bargain bike, having not owned one since my Oxford days where two-wheeled travel was obligatory. And a bike seat for the littlest member of the family was also duly purchased as she's not quite ready for a tagalong bike yet.

374

The eldest and I even cycled across the Severn bridge on an impromptu ride in the middle of the holidays - my, that thing moves A LOT! It's nice to say that for our first cycle ride we cycled to another country and back.


And because it's nice to share, here are my top five links for family fun in the great outdoors:
  1. Cycling with kids - lots of advice for getting out on two wheels as a family from Sustrans.
  2. Routes2Ride - my go-to guide for family-friendly cycle routes, supplemented by the print publication Cycling in Wales)
  3. Cool Camping - because it's never too early to start planning next year's camping trip.
  4. 50 things - The National Trust's list of the top 50 things to do before you're 11 3/4 - you can even download a poster checklist.We've ticked off a fair few this Summer!
  5. Wild Swimming - because I want to introduce the children to lake and river swimming next year.
We're resolved to make the most of the end of Summer and the early Autumn months to come - some blackberrying, a visit to see the Autumn display at Westonbirt arboretum, and some walks-with-a-view are definitely on the cards. What are your favourite outdoorsy activities, seasonal or otherwise?



9 comments:

  1. I hope you remembered your passports for that trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the weather is right there is nothing better than a camping holiday! We love camping on the New Forest; there are miles of woodland cycle trails and even a train line running nearby to keep the youngest happy. I'm glad you've all enjoyed your outdoorsy summer xx
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your beach huts, a perfect reminder of a glorious summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Poppy! Still trying to hang on to the Summer, even though it's getting steadily chillier!

      Delete
  4. That's a most engaging little purse, which looks so happy that it should only be used for ice-cream money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a most engaging little purse, which looks so happy that it should only be used for ice-cream money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mise - and I like you're thinking. Everyone should have a dedicated purse for ice-cream money!

      Delete
  6. I love camping, but it got too cold too quickly over here for my last little planned blast of outdoors. So yes, it's time to plan ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love camping, but it got too cold too quickly over here for my last little planned blast of outdoors. So yes, it's time to plan ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...