Friday, 7 December 2012

Winter woolies

paper dolls yoke detail

So I finished the paper dolls jumper for my daughter. Whilst I sat busily weaving in the ends one evening, my husband sat next to me companionably, marking this


... which is utter gobbledygook to me, but then again, he doesn't even know the difference between knit and purl, so I think we're even.

I have loved this knit from start to finish, even the endless rounds of stocking stitch (to the point where I'm prepared to countenance knitting an adult version, with even more endless rounds). The artesano alpaca yarn I used was so soft and fuzzy, it was a pleasure to knit with, and the pattern is a winner - those paper dolls are such a clear childhood reference without being at all twee.

paper dolls sweater
The only part where I strayed from the pattern was in doing fewer rounds of corrugated rib at the neckline than suggested, as I didn't want a stand-up collar. Oh, and I did have to rip back (actually I had to cut back as the artesano did not like being frogged) the neckline first time round as it was so tight it was like watching a birthing video seeing my daughter try and pull it over her head.

paper dolls sweater

Having rectified the neck and soaked and blocked the jumper, my daughter finally got to wear it, and what's more she's totally thrilled with it, which is always a nice thing. The full details are over on my ravelry page.

Bunty mitts in progress

Next up on the needles are the fabulous Bunty mitts from BomBella. This pattern first appeared in The Knitter, but is now available over on ravelry and as a kit from Ella's etsy shop. More stylised motifs, in the shape, this time, of blooms atop leafy stems. My 9-year old daughter marched straight up to me and said, authoritatively 'that looks a bit like Orla Kiely', which was my thought exactly, such a lovely design inspired by vintage wallpapers. I'm knitting this in various Skein Queen sockweight yarns, gorgeous colours as always. This is another project I can't wait to finish. It's just a shame I'm not quite close enough any more to pop over for a knit night with Ella and the other Outcasts in Reading.




10 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed with this jumper, it's so lovely and even more impressive is the little time you took to knit it, it would have taken me months if I was capable of such knitty wizardry, which I'm not, sadly. Even better you have a smaller sister ready to adopt it when it gets outgrown! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's amazing! And I am giggling at the birthing reference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! It looks really great on her, too!

    Maybe 2013 will be the year I attempt fair isle or whatever it's called. Then maybe by the time I have grandchildren I might be able to attempt something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a group of volunteers and starting a new
    initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information
    to work on. You have done a extraordinary job!
    My web site - yourtobaccosstore.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sweater is gorgeous ... lucky daughter! I'm not surprised you're tempted to knit one for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm amazed that anyone can actually knit such things - I can only manage rectangular lengths of mono-stitch and colour. So impressive, your young miss is very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My jaw has dropped...that looks amazing! What a lovely blog! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a gorgeous jumper, I love it :) Love the colours you used too. Hmmm, you're making me want to try one for myself now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, wow and triple wow. That is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at Helen[at]angharadhandmade[dot]co[dot]uk

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...