Saturday, 17 November 2012

Handmade Christmas stockings

Handmade Christmas stockings


The Christmas stockings are finished and up in the shop.


red-nosed reindeer stockings


Those reindeer rears I was stitching the other week are the reverse side of my Rudolph stockings, with the front side showing a reindeer profile, hand-finished with a super-shiny circle of red-nose sequins.

Christmas tree stocking

The Christmas tree design is made from three tiers of different green cotton fabrics, including one of my all-time favourite liberty tana lawn prints, all stitched in place with red zig zag stitching.

Both stockings have a cuff and toe made from a pretty vintage-feel fabric in cream and festive red or cream and moss green stripes with tiny flower posies. I'm so pleased I stocked up on this print when I had the chance, as I haven't seen it anywhere since, and it really does have a lovely Christmassy flavour!

Of course, just because the shop is stocked up with Christmas things doesn't mean that I'm remotely ready - I was frankly aghast when an acquaintance told me that he had his Christmas card-writing finished by the end of October. There's a distinctly more last-minute approach in the house of Angharad!







11 comments:

  1. Your stockings are great and will I'm sure make someone a lovely present in themselves. I'm not even remotely organised yet but cards will be way down my list when I do start to panic! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth! I have bought my cards, but it needs to be December before I'll start writing them.

      Delete
  2. They are just gorgeous! Your applique is so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. I've always enjoyed applique work, and the way you can totally change the feel of a piece with raw edges, satin stitch, or hand turned applique.

      Delete
  3. They're lovely!

    Don't worry, you're not the only one. After a brief surge of present shopping, things ground to a halt. I'm sure the international posting date is fast approaching, but my well of inspiration hath runneth dry... :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn. Ah yes, international posting deadlines add a whole new dimension to Christmas shopping organisation! Hope you get all yours done in time.

      Delete
  4. We're very last minute here too ... Christmas should happen at Christmas say I, not throughout November and December ... unless of course you're making Christmas things to sell. The stockings are perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I operate a not-before-December-1st policy usually. In fact, the year I was expecting my son I resolved that I would only start Christmas preparations after his birthday, but as he was a full 14 days late, arriving a bare week before Christmas, I had to abandon that plan!

      And thank you for the kind words about the stockings :)

      Delete
  5. Your stockings are lovely. I particularly like the reindeer bottom! I'm busy working on some felt stockings at the moment

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...