Sunday, 15 April 2012

Stylish dress book 1: Spring top 2

Grey foliage blouse

Grey foliage tunic - view B from Stylish Dress Book 1 for the Spring Top sewalong.

I belatedly realised after uploading Spring Top 1 to the group pool that most other people had been cropping their photos at the neck, and consequently felt like a right lemon, so here I am, safely beheaded.

A book I've had for eons, this one. Bought because I wanted to make the dress/tunic on the cover, view E, attempting to recreate a lovely tunic I saw in the Toast catalogue. I even have some Anna Maria Horner voile ready to sew it with. That's Spring Top no. 3 sorted then.

This time around, I thought I'd make a wearable muslin, using a remnant of floaty cotton I bought in Fabrics Galore for just a few pounds. It was actually a more than generous remnant, more than enough to make this pretty but simple gathered blouse with a puffed sleeve.

Grey foliage blouse

All the usual caveats apply when sewing from a Japanese pattern, remember to add the seam allowance before cutting out your painstakingly-traced pattern pieces. Also, don't overlook any additional markings - view B comes with a tiny note to extend the width of the lower sleeve pattern piece by 10cm in order to create the puffiness, which is easily overlooked. I did my research on flickr beforehand, otherwise I would definitely not have seen this. For more tips on using Japansese sewing books, try this article over at The Purlbee and this exhaustive series of posts at label-free.

I'm a UK size 10 (US size 6) and traced out a size 11, adding an extra 3cm to the hem as I'm an amazonian 5'4" (or 164cm in new money), whereas the Japanese patterns in this book only run to 160cm. First time in my life I've ever felt tall ... -ish; I have a brother who's 6'3" and a sister who's 5'10" so I didn't come off well in the height stakes.

Grey foliage blouse cuff detail

Grey foliage blouse neck binding detail

I'm very happy with how this turned out, I like the bound neckline and gathered cuffs (I followed the pattern directions and used elastic, but I might try binding them next time after seeing this version and this version).

Grey foliage blouse - musketeer incarnation

The top also comes with a handy pirate or musketeer option if you add a thick leather belt. I'm not a great wearer of belts, me. Maybe I just haven't found the right belt yet?

6 comments:

  1. Looks lovely, that fabric is perfect. I like the little person that has snuck into your last photo, for me it's always the cat, even if it's just a tail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate. I just finished my second top, and this time I had a cat, little person, and two bigger children sneaking into shot!

      Delete
  2. Looks great!

    Ah, goodness, it's about time that I did some sewing. How is it almost summer already? I won't be able to hide under a cardi much longer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn. It's still very much cardie weather here; I'm certainly not casting mine aside just yet!

      Delete
  3. I love this top! And, love the fabric...what a gorgeous find! You look great in a belt, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa! I was so pleased with that remnant, I do love rummaging through a remnants bin, and this was a lucky find.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...