Friday, 30 March 2012

The top that lived to see the light of day

I have not only completed my first (ha! optimistic much?) Spring top, but I have also worn it all day without it falling apart at the seams. I feel triumphant! Finally I have stitched a garment for myself from a pattern which has actually been wearable at the end of the day. A top I really like, which fits me, which looks like the pattern envelope. I know this might happen to you all the time, but for me, this is a new experience.

Here's the photo I've submitted to the Spring Top Sewalong 2012 pool, grinning like a stitch-happy fool!

Butterflies top

The stripes have gone a bit strobe-y here, you can see the fabric a bit better in this one taken on my webcam (more lunatic grins, but in my defence, this is how I look all the time).

Butterflies top

Details
Pattern: New Look 6731 Misses Knit Top or Tunic (I do love a 'Misses' pattern, makes me feel like someone out of Little Women).
Fabric: Yellow butterfly print striped viscose jersey from Ottobre

Seams were stitched on my Toyota Quilt50 machine with a ballpoint needle, using a regular straight stitch and polyester thread but stretching the fabric slightly as I sewed. I overlocked the inside seam where the neckline is attached for neatness, but otherwise simply zig-zagged the seams after sewing them. The hem was turned using Joanne's clever paper method, which made it a whole lot quicker, and had the advantage of not stretching the fabric. I was going to order a twin needle and extra spool pin for my machine, but eagerness to finish took over and I just went ahead, sewing two lines of straight stitching for the hem. I used LOTS of pins as I was so wary of the fabric slipping or stretching. It's amazing what little waves and quirks the iron will fix though. Thanks very much for the tips in the comments to my last post, they were really helpful.

This is a pattern I'll definitely sew again. I really like the scooped neckline and the little capped sleeves and the sizing was spot-on for me. I found it a really great first project for sewing knits as the construction was very straightforward and the instructions were very clear.

I'm really keen now to get started on another top, from my stash of cotton fabric this time. We'll see if I manage to bag some sewing time over the next few days. The husband has already finished his school term, whilst child 1 and 2 are at school until mid-next week, so it wouldn't be too much to ask for him to do a spot of baby-wrangling so that I can sew, would it?

12 comments:

  1. that's gorgeous! I am incredibly impressed. I can make clothes for the kids but no way does anything ever fit me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlotte! I'm the same, happily making things for the small ones but everything I make for myself has ended up in the scraps pile till now.

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful top. I've kind of had making a jersey top for myself as my next sewing challenge for about a year... and have avoided it completely and just made cotton tops instead, as still slightly scared of mucking it all up. And, it seems almost impossible to find any vaguely nice jersey material where I live. Excuses, excuses!
    Anyhow, well done - you might have given me the inspiration to get going. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been challenging myself to do it for a few years, and it ended up not being nearly as scary as I thought!

      Delete
  3. Looks absolutely brilliant, I am always freaked out by jersey as it can stretch so much - the fabrics great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth! I wasn't sure about the fabric once I'd bought it, but really like it now. I definitely need some yellow shoes though.

      The stretch wasn't too bad as if you're sewing on a normal machine you stretch the seams both sides of the machine foot anyway, so you sort of embrace the stretch if you see what I mean!

      Delete
  4. looks great - I have to say I wasn't sure about the fabric in the previous blog, but once made up it is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy! I haven't been completely sure about the fabric either, but am happy now it's finished, and just the fact that it fits is enough of a reason for me to wear it lol!

      Delete
  5. It looks gorgeous - and fab modelling too! I am in awe of anyone who can make clothes, so impressive :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. My little girl took the photo (eldest not youngest!). It'll probably be the first and only time I make anything that fits!

      Delete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...