Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Project Study-o

It seems that I have been unsuccessful in claiming the study in our new house as my own. Instead, my husband has staked his claim on the space by acquiring a giant familial desk to take pride of place in the coveted near-the-window spot. It is a rather beautiful thing though, in all its red-leather-topped loveliness, and my giving him a retro desk lamp for Christmas has been a tacit acknowledgment that the space is to be shared. So instead of a 'studio', we've ended up with a rather chimeric 'study-o', which on the whole probably suits a couple composed of a mathematician and arts and languages type.

I have won some battles along the way, like the glass-fronted narrow billy bookcases to organise my fabric and yarn stash (the husband had wanted a deep cupboard to house the children's boardgames, which was one erosion of my space too far). I've also insisted that this time around, my wooden thread storage rack will be hung up straight rather than at a queasy angle (I'm picky like that). There are the lovely Ferm living scissor wall decals that I really really want but can't quite justify; I'll maybe get away with them if I promise not to use them to cut all his things out of the study-o. I have completely vetoed the idea of a filing cabinet - I don't think so!!

Study-o in progress

- bad, I know, but it's work in progress and definitely better than it was. Eventually, it will of course look like the beautiful workspaces I've been busy collecting over on pinterest.

It's taking shape, the study-o, but like most things here, that progress comes at a snail's pace. I'm not sure why really, when I have the two helping hands of this little miss by day (and often by night too).

Ribbon organisation
Self-appointed ribbon sorter


Button love
Chief button organiser


She has also proved to be a very effective random scrap vomit generator. I can honestly say that I had no artistic control over the way the multicoloured scraps were assembled in this quilt top as she delighted in throwing my nicely-organised pieced strips around like a lottery winner tossing piles of cash in the air.

Scrap vomit quilt top

Please excuse the general carnage. My husband dubbed the quilt top 'organised chaos'; I like the way that references the general mood around here.

In other news, I have now enabled threaded comments on my blog, so hurrah for being able to reply to everyone beneath the post itself as I've long been frustrated by blogger witholding email addresses so that I can't say hello when someone comments. So please do say hello, and I'll say hello back.

22 comments:

  1. Love your patchwork quilt top!
    Good luck on the Study room project. Sharing the space can be a good idea because it's nice to have company when you're sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sharing is also handy as I can get my husband to do any complex quilt maths instead of having to do it myself :)

      Delete
  2. The quilt is looking gorgeous!

    Good luck with the space sharing - it still sounds rather nice to me. My sewing stuff is in the dining room, which the front door opens onto, so most of it stays hidden away. Still, at least that way my husband doesn't get to see quite how much fabric I have accumulated...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn. I have to say the study-o is a big step up for me from a desk in the bedroom. It's going to be very hard to hide how much fabric I have though now it's stacked in glass fronted bookcases!

      Delete
  3. hello!
    That pic of your little one with the ribbon is hilarious, and also oh too familiar!
    You are very kind to share what is clearly *your* space - you are a better woman than I!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte! Haha - I'm sure you know exactly what it's like having little people 'rearranging' your stash. I'm not really sharing the space, I'm just going to use his desk for the laptop and mine for the machine!

      Delete
  4. Hello! Love the quilt top - looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. It's finally starting to take shape, I need to decide on backing and then I can actually try to finish it.

      Delete
  5. quilt looks fabulous.
    i have to share work space as well but if you are careful I find I can slowly sneak another bit until his part is only on the desk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. That is indeed the plan. I have designs on his desk as a cutting/laptop space and one day he's going to find my haberdashery collection filling up all that drawer space!

      Delete
  6. I'm loving the 'vomit' mine pile of squares are lying almost forgotten in the back of the cupboard, can't wait to see yours finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. It's certainly been on the go for a while now. Who knows when I'll finish!

      Delete
  7. This isn't 'general carnage'.......you should come to our house to REALLY see that. 3 kids under 6 - the place never looks this tidy. Love the quilt. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it gets a lot worse, believe me - it nearly killed me (and the children!) having to have my old house ready for viewings at five minutes notice! Thank you for the quilt appreciation :)

      Delete
  8. Hello :) Some filing cabinets can be nice you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynsey! You know, if he can find me a red one, I might just give in :)

      Delete
    2. Totally, I picked up an old one and revamped it and I love it, will just repaint when I get fed up with the colour, light sand, spray with primer then spray with a couple of top coats of enamel paint (the red of your choice!) and hey presto a filing cabinet you can love!

      Delete
    3. Really love all of your quilts too, and the gorgeous little knitted (and lined) jacket. Know what you mean about attaching knits to cottons, not easy but there are such lovely combos out there its a shame not to eh:)

      Delete
  9. A space to create is wonderful, having the machine out makes it so much easier to squeeze in a quick bit of sewing. Hope your husband does make the shared study-o too messy with all his maths paraphenalia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it is lovely having a dedicated space, Jo. Not to say that I won't still be leaving trails of thread all over the house though! And as for the maths paraphenalia, trundle wheels, set squares and compasses everywhere ;)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. She has an amazing work ethic, very driven. It's hard to prise her away once she's got started on a bit of sorting.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for stopping to leave a comment on my blog. I love hearing from everyone! I always try to respond to comments by email or visit your blog, but sometimes blogger doesn't provide me with these details, so you can always email me at angharadhandmade {@} gmail . com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...